RSJI Three Year Plan 2012-2014 – An assessment of RSJI’s last three years, and a description of the Initiative’s new three-year plan.
Race and Social Justice Initiative Summary – A two-page overview of the Race and Social Justice Initiative.
RSJI Our Approach – A summary of the Initiative’s goals and strategies, along with a capsule history.
Report 2008: Looking Back, Moving Forward (full-length report)
2008 RSJI Overview (executive summary)
What we teach:
RSJI Training and Education – A description of the training and education available to Seattle City employees.
Training overview: Race: the Power of an Illusion – eight-hour training for City of Seattle employees.
- Defining racism – definitions of personal, institutional and structural racism.
- Dropped out / Pushed Out exercise – a training exercise to recognize different forms of racism.
- Seattle Disparities 2011 – Does racism play a factor in the quality of life and access to opportunities and services in Seattle?
- Why Lead with Race? – An explanation for RSJI’s focus on race, and its relationship to other forms of inequity.
RSJI Organization Chart – a chart that shows the connections of RSJI within Seattle City government.
Change Team Charter Template – Guidelines for departmental Change Teams’ structure and governance.
Core Team recruitment announcement – Information distributed to City employees during Core Team recruitment periods (every two years).
City Council Resolution: November 30, 2009 – Seattle City Council’s resolution of support for RSJI.
RSJ Community Roundtable:
RSJI Took Kit - Tools and guidelines for considering racial equity when developing policies, programs and services:
Inclusive Outreach and Public Engagement Guide – Tools and guidelines for incorporating racial equity in community outreach and public processes.
What we’ve accomplished:
RSJI Accomplishments: 2009-2011 – a summary of actions taken as a result of RSJI.
Inclusive Outreach Executive Order 4/4/08 – Mayor’s Executive Order directing City departments to conduct community outreach and engagement that reflects Seattle’s racial and cultural diversity.
Interpretation and Translation Executive Order 1/7/07 – Mayor’s Executive Order affirming the City of Seattle’s commitment to provide equal access to services to all residents, including those with limited English proficiency.
Mayor’s Executive Order 4/23/10: Outreach to Women and Minority Owned Businesses – Mayor’s Executive Order strengthening the City’s commitment to utilize women and minority owned businesses, and outlining steps to ensure Citywide accountability.
RSJI 2010 Employee Survey – Executive summary of a Citywide employee survey about RSJI in the fall of 2010.
Workforce Equity: – A set of documents that outlines steps taken by the City of Seattle to ensure equity in its own hiring and promotion policies.
- RSJI and Workforce Equity – a summary of RSJI’s workforce equity actions
- Out-of-Class Policy – a new Citywide policy for out-of-class assignments
- Out-of-Class Best Practices – best practices for departments’ use of out-of-class assignments
Consultant Roster – An internal list maintained by the City of Seattle of RSJ consultants and practitioners.
City of Seattle Business Services Portal - easy online access to consultant contracts and information.
Other online resources from around the country
Technical Assistance Tools
- Lessons Learned: How Communities are Addressing Racial Inequities - Executive Summary of a report by Maggie Potapchuk, MP Associates, in consultation with the Aspen Institute Roundtable for Community Change and the National League of Cities Institute.
- Dismantling Racism: a resource book for social change groups - This excellent resource from Western States Center contains a wealth of analysis, definitions and shared language, and strategies for implementing a race and social justice agenda.
- Race and Social Justice Trainer Selection Criteria Tool - Information from The Aspen Institute, Queenstown Maryland.
- Seattle's Population and Demographics – A set of maps and tables showing population statistics and housing patterns in Seattle.
- Seattle Parks and Recreation: Demographic Overview of Seattle’s Communities – Population density, race/ethnicity, age, etc. (based on Census 2000 data)
- Seattle Maps – Seattle maps online.
- The Seattle Open Housing Campaign, 1959-1968 – From the Seattle Municipal Archives Digital Document Library.
- Seattle Civil Rights and Labor History Project – University of Washington
- HistoryLink.org – Free online encyclopedia of Washington State history.