FAMILIES AND EDUCATION LEVY
The Office for Education strategically allocates funds collected by the Families and Education Levy to meet the Levy's goals for all of Seattle's children:
- Children enter kindergarten prepared to succeed
- Students achieve academically and the achievement gap is reduced
- Students graduate from high school prepared for college or career
Visit our About the Levy page to learn more about the programs we fund, how we fund them, and the impact they make.
SEATTLE PRESCHOOL PROGRAM
On May 15, 2014, Mayor Murray released the City's proposed Seattle Preschool Program Action Plan.
On September 23, 2013, the Seattle City Council unanimously passed the "Preschool for All" Resolution (Resolution 31478), which established the City Council's goal of making voluntary, high-quality preschool available and affordable to all of Seattle's 3- and 4-year-old children. The Resolution charged the Office for Education with the development of an Action Plan.
Visit our Seattle Preschool Program page to learn more our progress toward achieving this goal.
SEATTLE YOUTH VIOLENCE PREVENTION INITIATIVE
We also manage the Seattle Youth Violence Prevention Initiative. Services are concentrated in the 3 Seattle neighborhoods where indicators of future violent behaviors are the highest: Southeast, Central, and Southwest. The Initiative's goals are to:
- Reduce juvenile violent crime court referrals in the 3 neighborhoods by 50%
- Reduce the number of suspensions/expulsions due to violent incidents in 5 selected middle schools by 50%
Visit the Seattle Youth Violence Prevention Initiative website for more information.
Visit our Useful Links page.