Policy and Positions
The City's technology advisory board has taken a number of policy positions on information and communication technology issues. They have provided recommendations to the City of Seattle as well as the Federal Communications Commission and others. Here are some of the letters, filings and position papers from the Board's work.
- 2014 Broadband and Fiber Position: Letter to the Mayor following failure of Gigabit Squared fiber project. Link to letter (This is also in the January minutes.
- Cable franchise renewal with Comcast community needs assessment [Currently underway for 2013-15] See Broadband & Cable Committee and City Cable Office site
- 2013 to SDOT and the Mayor concerning broadband deployment, CenturyLink and rules governing placement of telecommunications cabinets Link to the Board's letter and the Mayor's response to the letter
- 2013 Technology Matching Fund community grants project recommendations link
- 2012 CTTAB recommendation to City Council in support of the city leasing of excess fiber (CB117487 excess fiber ordinance) link
- 2012 letter to the FCC supporting diversity in media and expansion of Low Power FM (LPFM) licenses for community radio link or see filing on FCC site
- 2011 memo on franchise fund use supporting the Technology Matching Fund and public access television services link
- 2010 CTTAB Position Regarding Broadband for Seattle link
- Computer recycling and refurbishing: 2009 Statement to the state on rules governing computer recycling. link
- 2001 position supporting Western Integrated Networks' (WIN) application for a cable franchise in Seattle link