Carts-to-Curb Help

If your garbage is collected at the curb or alley, you can pay an additional fee to have it collected from your backyard. If you have disabilities and qualify for an exemption, you can get backyard collection at curbside rates.

Call SPU Customer Service at (206) 684-3000 to request backyard service.

Eligibility for free backyard service

You may qualify for an exemption from the backyard fee surcharge if all these apply to you:

  • Have curbside collection
  • Are unable to take your garbage, yard waste or recycling to the curb or alley for collection due to mental or physical disabilities or health problems (medical verification may be required)
  • Have no one living in the home who can assist you
  • Have a yard with challenging terrain or landscaping

How it works

If you qualify and live in a single-family house, the hauler will collect your containers from the backyard.

In multi-unit buildings, other residents must take their cans to the curb or alley. An SPU Field Representative will place stickers on their non-qualified garbage, recycling and yard waste cans to notify your collectors that there is a backyard-exempt can to pick up.