Turkish Filbert (Corylus colurna)
Heritage Seedlings and Liners Inc
This impressive tree has a pyramidal form that makes for a great street or yard tree. On one hand it is a tough tree for urban environments, yet it provides beauty with its attractive male catkins in early spring and lush summer foliage.
Power Line Approved: No
Min. street tree planting width: 6 feet
Mature Height: 40-50 feet
Mature Spread: 25-30 feet
Tree Shape: Pyramidal
Where to Plant:
Great shade tree for your yard or in a planting strip with no overhead power lines.
Double toothed rich green leaves in summer give way to yellow fall color.
Long male catkins are attractive in early spring.
Edible nut in frilly husk is related to commercial hazelnut but not as tasty.
Photo credit: Jean-Pol GRANDMONT
Preferred Site Conditions:
Full sun in moist but well drained soil. Tolerant of drought once established.
No serious pests.
Minimum Planting Distances:
- 15 feet from house or building
- 3 ½ feet back from the face of the curb
- 5 feet from underground utility lines
- 10 feet from power poles
- 7 ½ feet from driveways (10 feet recommended)
- 20 feet from street lights and other existing trees
- 30 feet from street intersections