Seattle Department of Human Resources Bobby Humes, Director


PrintPrint Page Content
 About SDHR
 Employee Timesheet
 City Employment
 SDHR Resources
 Employee Services
 Employee Verification
 - Deferred Compensation
 - Paid Parental Leave
 - Paid Family Care Leave
Life Event: Life Stresses You

The City sponsors a number of programs to help you deal with life’s stresses.

Step 1 – Contact the Employee Assistance Program.
The City's Employee Assistance Program (EAP) is provided through Resources for Living ( - Login: city of seattle; Password: city of seattle).

This program offers confidential, professional assistance to help you deal with life’s stresses. You and your household members are allowed six free 1 hour face-to-face counseling visits per issue every 12 months. You can access your EAP benefits by calling Resources for Living 1-888-272-7252 or TTY 1-888-879-8274 for assistance with:

  • Elder care
  • Financial or legal problems
  • Gambling or other addictive behaviors
  • Critical incidents or catastrophes
  • Grief
  • Alcohol or drug problems
  • Family, relationship or emotional concerns
  • Eating disorders
  • Job-related problems and coworker conflicts
  • Stress or depression

Step 2 – Review mental health coverage.
If the problem cannot be resolved in six EAP appointments, you may be able to continue counseling through your medical plan’s mental health benefits. If your ongoing care is considered “medically necessary” and you wish to continue therapy with your Resources for Living counselor after the six EAP appointments, you may be able do so through the medical plan. All Resources for Living counselors are part of the Aetna network; not all counselors are part of Group Health. If you are a Group Health member, Resources for Living will help you find a counselor in their network.

Go to to find more information about medical plan coverage for Mental Health and Substance Abuse services.

Step 3 – Review City leave programs.
The City provides a number of time-off programs for employees including:

Leave programs are governed by Seattle Municipal Code, Personnel Rules and some union contracts. Contact your Department’s Human Resources Representative or the Personnel Department if you need additional information.