Seattle Department of Human Resources Bobby Humes, Director


PrintPrint Page Content
 About SDHR
 Employee Timesheet
 City Employment
 SDHR Resources
 Employee Services
 Employee Verification
 - Deferred Compensation
 - Paid Parental Leave
 - Paid Family Care Leave
Event: There is a Death in the Family

Step 1 - Contact your Department Human Resources Representative
Your Human Resources Department will help determine benefits available to you. Depending on your elections and the circumstance of the death, benefits may be payable to you or your beneficiaries under Basic and/or Supplemental Group Term Life insurance and/or AD&D insurance or through the City's Deferred Compensation Plan or City of Seattle's Retirement Plan.

The City provides a number of leave options for employees. You may be eligible to use one or more of these programs if there is a death in your family. Leave options include:
  • Funeral Leave
  • Sick Leave
  • Personal Leave
  • Vacation
  • Emergency Leave (available to some union members)

Step 2 - Change personal and tax withholding information
You may need to update your personal information with your Department's Human Resources Representative (for example, beneficiary designation, who is covered under the medical plan, etc.).

Additionally, you may need to change the amount of taxes withheld from your paycheck by submitting a new W-4 statement to your Department's Human Resources Representative or Payroll office for processing. You can also change your W-4 statement on line using Employee Self-Service.

Step 3 - Contact the EAP
The Employee Assistance Program (EAP) can provide you with confidential, professional help during this difficult time. You can reach Horizon Health EAP at 1-888-272-7252 (or TTY 1-888-879-8274).

Step 4 - Complete the Healthcare Benefits Change Form
If there is a death in your immediate family, you may need to complete the healthcare benefits change form to reflect the change to your medical, dental, and vision dependents.