Seattle Department of Human Resources Bobby Humes, Director


PrintPrint Page Content
 About SDHR
 Employee Timesheet
 City Employment
 SDHR Resources
 Employee Services
 Employee Verification
 - Deferred Compensation
 - Paid Parental Leave
 - Paid Family Care Leave
Event: Your Dependent Child Becomes Ineligible

If your son or daughter no longer meets the age requirements for medical/dental/vision coverage (by turning 26 years old) notify your Department's Human Resources Representative as soon as possible. Coverage may continue for a handicapped/incapacitated child if the child becomes disabled prior to the limiting age, provided that proof of fully handicapped/incapacitated status has been documented by a physician.

Step 1 - Change medical/dental/vision coverage
Dependents who lose coverage may elect to continue health care coverage through COBRA. To elect COBRA, you must notify your Department's Human Resources Representative and your son or daughter must complete an application form. You must complete a Benefits Change Form to drop a dependent. Coverage will cease at the end of the month in which the dependent marries or reaches the age limit.

Step 2 - Make other changes to your benefits coverage
You may also cancel any optional coverage such as life insurance, supplemental life insurance, AD&D or Supplemental Long-Term Disability. Dependents are eligible for supplemental GTL up to age 26 (through age 25) for Accidental Death and Dismemberment.

Step 3 - Change personal and tax withholding information
You may need to change the amount of taxes withheld from your paycheck by submitting a new W-4 statement to your Department's Human Resources Representative or Payroll office for processing. You can also change your W-4 statement on line using Employee Self-Service.