Working for a safe, affordable, vibrant, innovative, and interconnected city.
Learn More Home Page
I want to search within the following: This Department
Seattle Public Utilities header

Report Illegal Dumping

Report the illegal dumping of garbage in your neighborhood and help your area be a clean, healthy, safe place to live and work. Seattle Public Utilities will send an illegal dumping field inspector to investigate the problem and get it cleaned up according to City of Seattle ordinances.

Illegal dumping on public property

It is considered illegal dumping when any junk, garbage or debris is left on public property—including roadsides, open streets, and paved alleys. The items most commonly reported are TVs and computers; furniture; paints, solvents and other potentially hazardous liquids; tires; garbage, yard waste, and construction debris.

Report Problems

To report problems on public property, use the Illegal Dumping Report Form, or call (206) 684-7587.

Issues on private property

To report accumulation of junk storage, inoperable or junk cars parked in yards, or other types of stored materials on or around private property, contact the Seattle Department of Construction & Inspections Code Compliance Division. Use the Code Violation Complaint Form or call the Violation Complaint Line at (206) 615-0808.

Why report illegal dumping

Accumulation of rotten, decaying garbage attracts rats and other disease-carrying creatures. Dumping hazardous waste puts people’s health at risk and can harm the environment. Illegal dumping can be associated with other forms of illegal activity. If tolerated, it sends a message to violators that it is allowable to dump garbage in your neighborhood or community.

How to resolve other problems

To report abandoned vehicles in streets or alleys, use the Seattle Police Department’s Parking Enforcement online form or call the Abandoned Vehicle Report Line at (206) 684-8763.

To report illegal camping on public property, contact the Customer Service Bureau online or at (206) 684-2489.

To ask questions regarding charges on the Solid Waste portion of your bill, call SPU Customer Service at (206) 684-3000.

Related link

City of Seattle Complaint Services