Frequently Asked Questions
How do I sign up for paperless billing?
- Access the Seattle Utilities Electronic Billing website
- Click on the link the link in the middle of the page that says "SIGN UP FOR ELECTRONIC BILLING"
- Enter either your Seattle City Light or Seattle Public Utilities account number, making sure to leave out any spaces or dashes, and click continue.
- Enter your utility account mailing address ZIP code and click continue.
- From here you can create a user ID and password to access your account in the future.
- Once you have signed up, you can log in and view your current bill, and your bill history, for this account.
- We recommend you add bills for other utility accounts by clicking on the Add/Remove Account link on the left side of the page.
Is my financial and personal information secure?
Yes, the City’s vendor, FIS Corporation, who manages the application for the City of Seattle eBill service uses the following security features:
- Secure Socket Layers that ensure your connection and information is secure.
- Encryption: Strictly enforced 128-bit encryption security levels for users accessing this service. All users accessing this service must ensure that their Web browsers are set to enable 128-bit encryption.
- Automatic sign out: Automatic sign-out after 20 minutes of inactivity.
- Password requirements: All users are required to change or reset their passwords every 90 days. This security measure is to ensure only you have access to your sensitive information.
Will I continue to receive my bill by mail?
No. When you enroll in paperless billing you will receive an email notice that your bill is available for online viewing. You will no longer receive paper bills by mail. However, if you forget to pay a bill, the reminder notice will be mailed to you.
What if I don’t receive the paperless billing notification?
Notifications are sent to the email address that you use when you signed up. If you don’t get the notification, double check that you typed the email address correctly. You can view your most current bill when it is available.
How do I make paperless billing payments?
There are two payment options.
- You can elect to make individual payments each month.
- You can schedule automatic, recurring payments.
Can I pay my bill automatically using my credit card?
Yes, you can use Visa or Mastercard credit cards, debit cards with the Visa or Mastercard logo, or your checking account. When you set up an automatic payment rule your bill balance will be paid automatically on the day that the bill is due.
Can I set up more than one financial account to use when making online payments?
Yes, click the “Payment Methods” link on the left side to add new bank accounts or credit cards, or modify existing account information.
What should I do if I forget my UserID or password?
Click the “forgot your password?” or “forgot your UserId?” links on the lower portion of the login page.
Can I change my utility account information on-line?
No. You can change information associated with the paperless billing account (such as your credit card number) but this will not change your utility account information in our billing system. To make changes on your utility account you should call (206) 684-3000.
Both my spouse, roommate or domestic partner and I want to pay the bill alternately or make partial payments. Can we do that?
Yes. Two people can associate themselves to a Paperless Billing account. Each person should sign up and select their own UserID and Password.