Home Page This Department

  • What do your solid waste rates pay for?
  • Curbside collection of garbage, food and yard waste, and recycling...
  • Transfer of garbage and yard waste/ food waste at our recycling and disposal stations...
  • Processing of recyclables and yard waste/ food waste...
  • Transport and disposal of garbage at the landfill in Oregon...
  • Monitoring historic landfills...
  • Managing household hazardous waste disposal...
  • Encouraging waste reduction, recycling, composting, and reuse...
  • Keeping neighborhoods clean and free of graffiti.

Garbage Can Rates

All residents within the City of Seattle are required by the Seattle Municipal Code to have garbage containers and pay for garbage service. The more you recycle and put food waste in your food/yard waste cart, the smaller garbage can size you will need and your rate will be lower.

Garbage is billed every other month in advance.

View Dumpster Rates.

Monthly Residential Garbage Can Rates

Effective April 1, 2014

Service Level (weekly) Curb or Alley
(per month)
(per month)
Weight Limit Exterior Dimensions
micro-can (12 gallon) $19.45 not available 20 pounds 18"W x 15"D x 13"H
mini-can (20 gallon) $23.85 not available 30 pounds 15"W x 16"D x 21"H
one can (32 gallon) $31.05 $43.45 60 pounds 24"W x 33"H
one 64-gallon cart $62.10 $86.95 120 pounds 27"W x 29"D x 41"H
one 96-gallon cart $93.15 $130.40 180 pounds 29"W x 34"D x 46"H
extra garbage (per bundle) $10.20 $10.20 60 pounds 4' x 2' x 2'

More rates and information

Extra garbage

Customers are charged for each extra bag, bundle or 32-gallon can (beyond your monthly service level). The maximum weight for extra garbage is 60 pounds per unit.

Vacancy rate and construction/unlivable allowance

The mandatory garbage charge for all occupied and unoccupied dwelling units applies whether the services are used or not.

The mandatory charge can be waived or reduced, however, if buildings are unlivable or vacant for at least 60 days.

Vacancy rate of $6.85 per month ($13.70 per bill) may be granted for a single family residence that will not be occupied or used as a residence for at least 60 consecutive days. Garbage and recycling must not be set out for collection during this time.

Construction/unlivable allowance (no charge) applies to buildings that are deemed "unlivable" by the Solid Waste Inspector.

The construction/unlivable allowance may apply to:

  • Single family residences that are unlivable for at least 60 consecutive days.
  • New single family constructions (until occupied).
  • Individual units in multi-family buildings that are unlivable for 60 consecutive days or that have been permanently converted to storage units.

To request a special rate

Call SPU Customer Service at (206) 684-3000 to request a special rate or waiver. Requests can be made by the person responsible for paying the Combined Utility Bill, such as:

  • Owners
  • Agents/Managers
  • Executors of Estates

Related links

Recycle at Your House
Food & Yard Waste at Your House

Reduce, Reuse & Exchange