- Environment & Conservation
- Construction & Development
- Businesses & Key Accounts
Extra Garbage, Bulky Item & Appliances
What is extra garbage?
Extra garbage is anything that doesn’t fit into your garbage can with the lid completely closed.
Set out extra garbage for collection
Put extra garbage in a plastic bag or your own garbage can (up to 32 gallons), and put it next to your regular garbage. The maximum weight for extra garbage is 60 pounds.
Extra garbage charges
Effective April 1, 2016, $10.60 is charged for each extra bag, bundle or can (up to 32-gallons, maximum weight of 60 lbs). If you regularly have extra garbage, you may want to subscribe to a larger garbage can.
Bulky Item and Appliance Collection
Schedule a bulky item collection
Call SPU Customer Service at (206) 684-3000 to request a bulky item collection. The person(s) responsible for the Combined Utilities Bill must be able to authorize charges on the account.
Bulky item charges
Charges for bulky item collections will appear on your Combined Utility Bill as follows:
- $30 per item.
- $38 per item for items containing CFCs (such as refrigerators). Note: You may be eligible for Seattle City Light's $30 rebate and free pickup of your older, secondary, working refrigerator.
Curbside Electronics Recycling Pickup charges
Charges for curbside electronics recycling collections will appear on your Combined Utility Bill as follows:
- $20 per pickup (3 item limit)
Get bulky items collected
Items must be placed outside on the customer's property, on a flat, level surface (no stairs) and easily accessible from the street. Items must be out at the collection point by 7AM the day following the call to schedule the pick-up, and will be collected within 5 business days (Monday through Friday only).
Bulky items include:
- Appliances, refrigerators, freezers, stoves, dishwashers, dryers, trash compactors, air conditioners and washing machines.
- Beds: box springs, mattresses.
- Furniture, dressers, cabinets, tables, chairs, and sofas.
Restrictions on bulky items
- For safety reasons, please remove any refrigerator and freezer doors that have latches.
- Appliances and furniture cannot exceed 8 feet in length or 4 feet in diameter.
- Electronic Waste cannot exceed 60 lbs, and 2’ x 2’ x 2’.
- Items made of absorbent material must have a waterproof cover on rainy days.
- Any item that is too large for the truck or is too heavy (more than 300 pounds) for 1 person to load will not be collected.