Garbage for Building Owners/Managers
Dumpster service is usually requested by apartments and condominiums, but it is also available to single-family homes and some mixed-use (commercial and residential) buildings.
Rates and starting service
Effective April 1, 2013 garbage rates will increase 6.3% for both residential and commercial customers. Service is contracted for a minimum of six months, with various sizes and frequencies of collection available. See dumpster rates.
- To request dumpster service, call Solid Waste Customer Service at (206) 684-7665.
- For help in planning garbage services for new building projects, contact Liz Kain at firstname.lastname@example.org or (206) 684-4166.
- As part of starting service, a Seattle Public Utilities inspector will meet with a building manager or owner to determine container size and location and collection frequency.
- If you need to arrange garbage service for retail or other businesses (not apartment or condo buildings) deal directly with the commercial garbage provider for your area.
- View the Solid Waste Rate Increases FAQ.
Tenant education materials
To keep garbage volumes lower, you can order tenant education materials (translated in several languages) about the many recyclable items.
- The dumpster(s) must be located on a flat, level, hard surface with unobstructed access to a paved street, alley or parking lot as approved by a Solid Waste Utility field representative and the collection contractor.
- The dumpster(s) must be accessible by 7 a.m. on collection day(s), and not blocked or locked up.
To help in your planning, please see:
- Guidelines for estimating the dumpster size you will need.
- Details on dumpster dimensions.
- Information on whether a compactor makes sense for your property.
- Truck specifications (pdf) for assuring access to your dumpsters or loading dock.
- Requirements for loading docks (pdf).