What is accepted in the food and yard waste cart?
- All food scraps, including: fruits, vegetables, coffee grounds & filters, tea bags, shells & bones, pasta & rice, eggshells, nutshells, bread & grains, meat, fish & dairy.
- Food-soiled paper, including: uncoated (no shine) paper bags, paper towels & napkins, greasy pizza boxes, uncoated (no shine) food-soiled paper plates, & shredded paper.
- Plant & yard waste, including: flowers & houseplants, leaves, branches & grass clippings.
- Approved compostable bags which have been tested by the compost facility
What is Not Accepted
- No plastic bags.
- No plastic, glass or metal items.
- No paper cups, ice cream cartons, milk cartons.
- No animal waste of any kind, including diapers, dog poop, cat litter, manure, etc.
- See Where Does It Go? to find out what to do with these things.
Food and Yard Waste Flyer
Find out more with these illustrated guidelines on food and yard waste for apartment and condo residents (PDF 8 ½” x 11”). Available in these languages:
Use the Now Available! Food Waste Service (pdf) poster in your lobby or office to announce the start-up or to remind tenants of the food waste collection service.
Cedar Grove has also approved compostable food service items (pdf).
If you’re not sure about what to do with an item, use our Look It Up tool to get specific instructions.
Call the Garden Hotline at (206) 633-0224 or email Ask Evelyn for questions about what is accepted.
Food & Yard for Residents of Apartments & Condos
Reduce, Reuse, Exchange - for ways to keep other useful items out of the waste stream
Can I recycle this item? Look It Up!
Cedar Grove Composting - Local processor of yard and food compost materials