Fee for Uncovered Load
The fine for transporting an unsecured load is $216.
Driving with an unsecured load is against Washington state law. If an item falls off a vehicle and causes bodily harm, the driver faces gross misdemeanor charges and penalties of up to $5,000 and/or up to a year in prison.
You will be charged an additional fee for uncovered or unsecured loads at all private and public Recycling and Disposal Stations.
How do I secure a load?
- Cover your load with a tarp. Covering your load with a tarp and then securely fastening the tarp to the vehicle is good way to ensure that your load is secure.
- Tie down using rope, netting, straps, or chains. Tie large items directly to your vehicle. Make sure that any covering is securely tied down.
- Put lighter items lower and place heavier items on top to help keep them in place and secure the heavy items to your vehicle.
- Don’t overload your vehicle.
- Double-check that your load is secure.