Seattle Public Utilities (SPU) is working in areas of the Broadview neighborhood to make improvements in the functioning of the sewer and drainage systems, as well as to improve water quality.
SPU currently has three projects in the Broadview area focused on these issues. The Broadview Sewer and Drainage Improvement Project implemented two pilot projects to test two methods for meeting some of the project goals.
- Sewer and Drainage Improvements - In the summer of 2013 SPU’s contractors completed a geotechnical study in the western portion of Broadview to gain a better understanding of the hydrology in the area. The overall project goal is to reduce the potential for sewer backups and surface flooding.
- Venema Creek Natural Drainage System - Restore the natural hydrological cycle, remove pollutants, and reduce runoff to the creek.
- Piper’s Creek Flow Control - Provide information needed to measure the effectiveness of a variety of methods to reduce runoff.
Project contact information is listed below.
- Broadview Sewer and Drainage Improvements
Celia Kennedy, Project Manager
- Venema Creek Natural Drainage System Project
Don Anderson, P.E., Project Manager
Sign up for the Broadview Mailing List to receive updates about either project.