Garbage for Building Owners/Managers
Dumpster service is usually requested by apartments and condominiums, but it is also available to single-family homes and some mixed-use (commercial and residential) buildings.
Rates and starting service
Service is contracted for a minimum of six months, with various sizes and frequencies of collection available. See dumpster rates.
- To request solid waste service set up, call Customer Service at least 4 weeks prior to occupancy (206) 684-7665. A solid waste inspector will contact you to set up an on-site meeting.
- As part of starting service, a Seattle Public Utilities inspector will meet with a building manager or owner to determine container size and location and collection frequency.
- If you need to arrange garbage service for retail or other businesses (not apartment or condo buildings) deal directly with the commercial garbage provider for your area.
- View the Solid Waste Rate Increases FAQ.
- Architects seeking design guidance for solid waste storage rooms for new building projects can contact Angela Wallis at email@example.com or (206) 684-4166.
Tenant education materials
To keep garbage volumes lower, you can order tenant education materials (translated in several languages) about the many recyclable items.
- The dumpster(s) must be located on a flat, level, hard surface with unobstructed access to a paved street, alley or parking lot as approved by a Solid Waste Utility field representative and the collection contractor.
- The dumpster(s) must be accessible by 7 a.m. on collection day(s), and not blocked or locked up.
To help in your planning, please see:
What’s Accepted as Garbage
Recycling for Apartment Owners
Food & Yard Waste for Apartment Owners