- Environment & Conservation
- Construction & Development
- Businesses & Key Accounts
- Help & FAQs
- About Us
Green Gardening Program
Green Gardening Program
Hold this training date:
- City of Seattle Pesticide Recertification Seminar
“Solving Challenges Old and New: emerging strategies for urban IPM” October 24 & 25, 2017
Check back here for registration
The Green Gardening Program is a continuing education and outreach program for landscape design, installation, and maintenance professionals, funded by Seattle Public Utilities and the Local Hazardous Waste Management Program in King County. Begun in 1993, the Green Gardening Program:
- Promotes practices for successful, healthy landscapes that enhance the environment, reduce pesticide use and encourage IPM, conserve water, recycle waste, and protect water quality,
- Facilitates communication and collaboration across all disciplines of the landscape industry, and
- Provides landscape professionals, including non-English speakers, with up-to-date, practical, and science-based information on techniques for managing landscapes in the least-toxic manner
Sign up for training announcements and quarterly E-newsletters - please send your name, business name, business type (design, installation, maintenance, etc.) and email address to email@example.com.
Green Gardening Program Offers
Trainings and Workshops for Landscape Professionals
- Full-day workshops in fall and winter (in English)
- Workshops in Spanish
- Seminars for nursery staff
- Trainings for college horticulture programs
- See upcoming trainings and past presentations
Our newsletter links to interesting articles, seasonal landscaping information and resources, and listings of professional training opportunities from organizations around King County. To sign up send your name, business name, type of business (design, installation, maintenance, etc.) and email address to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Green Gardening Program helps to create educational handouts and brochures that can be found throughout this website. Many of these resources are also available in Spanish, Vietnamese, and Khmer.
Sustainable Landscaping Case Studies
The Green Gardening Program is proud to be involved in efforts to enhance industry knowledge of sustainable landscaping practices, costs, and benefits.
- Swedish Medical Center - In 2011, the Green Gardening Program worked with Swedish Medical Center to document its transition to sustainable landscape practices. Read more about the process, improvements, and cost savings.
- Trilogy at Redmond Ridge - In 2015 the Green Gardening Program, in partnership with Trilogy Management, Pacific Landscape Management, and Washington State University, launched a case study to assess the costs, benefits, and aesthetics of mulch mowing and decreased fertilizer use. Results are expected to be published in 2017.
- Garden Hotline – expert answers to public and professionals’ questions
- RainWise – managing stormwater on site
- EnviroStars – business certification
- ecoPro - WA Sustainable Landscape Professional Certification
- Green Factor – Seattle’s landscape code
- Low Impact Development resources – from WA Dept. of Ecology
- Sustainable Sites Initiative – national guidelines and certification for sustainable landscapes
Statewide landscape professional associations
- Washington Association of Landscape Professionals
- Washington State Nursery and Landscape Association
- Pacific NW Chapter, International Society of Arboriculture
- Washington Chapter, American Society of Landscape Architects
- Washington Chapter, Association of Professional Landscape Designers
- Washington Council, American Institute of Architects
- Irrigation Association
- Coalition of Organic Landscape Professionals
College Horticulture Programs
- Edmonds Community College
- Lake Washington Institute of Technology
- South Seattle College
- Seattle Central College
For more information about the Green Gardening Program
Email email@example.com or call (206) 684-5855.