The Get on the Map campaign uses an online map of Seattle’s neighborhoods to publicly recognize businesses taking actions to cut waste, save water and energy, and reduce pollution.
Take a minimum of five green actions to get on the map! Depending on the number of actions your business takes, your map icon will show up as green, greener or greenest.
Why should my business get on the map?
- Get Recognized. The Green Business Program will promote the map online, through local media and at community and business events.
- Share Your Success. Receive materials touting your place on the map, including website graphics, window clings, and a certificate from the City of Seattle.
- Get Assistance. Receive free one-on-one technical assistance to help you get on the map or darken your shade of green.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Is the Get on the Map campaign open to all businesses?
Any business –small, medium or large—with locations within Seattle city limits, that has also completed the minimum number of green actions, is eligible to get on the map.
- What about franchise businesses – are all locations eligible?
Yes, each franchisee is eligible to apply to get on the map so long as they are located within Seattle.
- What types of green actions does my business need to take to get on the map?
Your business can “get on the map” if you:
- Have a spill kit on hand and a plan to prevent spills from entering stormwater drains.
- Recycle and compost at your business.
- Purchase and use recycled-content products such as recycled paper.
- Assign responsibility for environmental initiatives to a senior manager.
- Measure and report your business’ carbon footprint.
- Buy products in bulk.
- Install water-saving fixtures such as high-efficiency toilets.
- You are also eligible to receive credit for other actions your business has taken that are not listed above.