- Environment & Conservation
- Construction & Development
- Businesses & Key Accounts
- Help & FAQs
- About Us
Hazardous Materials and Demolition
Federal, state, and local regulations require that all asbestos and other hazardous materials be removed prior to demolition. Prior to performing any renovation or demolition work, an asbestos survey must be performed to determine whether there are asbestos containing materials in the work area or structure, per the regulations of the Puget Sound Clean Air Agency (PSCAA) and Washington Department of Labor and Industries (L&I).
It is illegal to put any hazardous material in the garbage or recycling (SMC21.36.025 Unlawful Disposal). Check with the Seattle Department of Construction & Inspections for remodeling or demolition permits.
For more information:
- Puget Sound Clean Air Agency
(800) 552-3565 or (206) 689-4058
- Washington Department of Labor and Industries
- EPA and Lead