North Henderson project area.
What & Why?
What's happening now?
Construction will be underway on the Seward Park site between early 2015 and mid 2017. The park remains open, but parking will be affected. View parking map (pdf).
May 7, 2015
Over the next few weeks, construction at the Seward Park portion of the North Henderson CSO Reduction project will include the following activities:
Update on parking lot closures:
- Work related to the South Parking Lot closure was completed and the South Parking Lot is now open fully to the public.
- On an as needed basis, traffic in this area will continue to be reduced to one-lane access, with a flagger coordinating traffic, until the completion of the concrete construction of the new tank. However, no full lane or South Parking Lot closures are anticipated at this time and the public will continue to have access during construction work hours as controlled by the flaggers.
Additional construction activities within the construction site:
- Workers installing piping, structures, and electrical components.
- Continued demolition of existing drainage piping and structures.
- An electrical outage is currently scheduled for Friday, May 15 within the park. SPU is working with the Seattle Department of Planning and Development and Seattle City Light to confirm the outage date. When the electrical outage occurs, neighboring residences and park users will not be affected. SPU is coordinating with those that will be affected by the outage.
April 22, 2015
Over the next few weeks, construction at the Seward Park portion of the North Henderson project will include the following activities:
Parking lot closures
- Tuesday, April 28 – Thursday, April 30
- The South Parking Lot will be closed 7:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m. for electrical infrastructure installation. Seattle Parks and Recreation crews will also use this time to conduct picnic shelter maintenance and tree pruning near the South Parking Lot. The lot will be fully open after 4:00 p.m. each day.
- Monday, May 4 – Friday, May 8
- The South Parking Lot will be reduced to one-lane access, with a flagger coordinating traffic. The lot will be fully open after 4:00 p.m. each day.
Additional construction activities within the construction site
- Workers surveying locations for, and installing piping and structures, plus electrical components.
- Demolition of existing drainage piping and structures.
- An electrical outage on May 8 within the park; residences will not be affected. SPU is coordinating with those that will be affected by the outages.
The North Henderson CSO Reduction Project (North Henderson) will reduce the amount of untreated sewage and stormwater that overflows into Lake Washington at two outfalls located offshore of:
- Seward Park - view map of Basin 44 CSO improvements (pdf)
The project includes additional piping, outfall replacement, with shoreline work and landscape improvements.
- 57th Ave. S. near Martha Washington Park - view map of Basin 45 CSO improvements (pdf)
The proposed underground facility for Basin 45 consists of a 16,000 gallon pipe and piping improvements.
The end result
To reduce the frequency of sewage overflows to no more than one per year per outfall, on average, SPU plans to complete two new underground storage facilities in North Henderson in 2017 to store excess combined sewage and stormwater during major rain.