- Environment & Conservation
- Construction & Development
- Businesses & Key Accounts
See if you qualify for RainWise Rebates.
Builders and developers can learn about Seattle’s stormwater code requirements.
Learn more at 700 Million Gallons.
Managing stormwater at home
Rain falling on our roofs, driveways, or compacted soil rushes off quickly to the nearest drain or stream. In big storms, this excess “storm water” can cause sewer backups, or pollute and erode our streams and waterways.
Why be RainWise?
Simple practices like planting trees, using compost and mulch, and building rain gardens and cisterns help:
- Reduce pollution
- Reduce flooding
- Protect property
Today, Seattle manages nearly 100 million gallons of polluted runoff each year using green stormwater infrastructure methods. Our goal is to manage 700 million gallons of runoff a year by 2025. Learn ways you can help from the RainWise guide (pdf).
Install your own rain garden, and other RainWise techniques for your yard
- RainWise introduction (pdf)
- Video: Building a rain garden in the Pacific Northwest
- Building a Rain Garden (pdf) - 2 page summary
- Rain Garden Handbook for Western Washington (pdf) - 94 pages
- Improving your soil with compost and mulch (pdf)
- Plant options for green stormwater infrastructures (pdf)
- How to select, plant and care for your new tree (pdf)
- Reducing pavement and permeable paving options (pdf)
- Disconnecting downspouts safely (pdf)
- Installing cisterns in your garden (pdf)
- Why and how to use rock-filled trenches (pdf)
- Local suppliers of cisterns, soil, and pavers (pdf)
If you live in a targeted sewer overflow basin, you may be eligible for rebates to hire a trained RainWise contractor to install a rain garden or cistern. See if your property is eligible, find a contractor, and apply at RainWise Rebates.
Questions? Call the Garden Hotline at (206) 633-0224 (free language interpretation available).
- Para obtener más información llame al (206) 633-0224.
- Để biết thêm chi tiết, hãy gọi Garden Hotline ở số (206) 633-0224.
- 如果你需要更多資訊, 請 打電話給花園熱線 - (206) 633-0224.