Cedar River Watershed Education Center Exhibits
Free! Entertaining and educational for all ages, hands-on exhibits transport you into the closed boundaries of the Cedar River Municipal Watershed. Flow through the water cycle and journey through habitats and history, as you look, listen and do. Reservations are required for groups of 10 or more.
Reservations for the Water is Magic Exhibit Experience are offered year-round depending on staff availability on a first call, first served basis. Learn more about these and other opportunities for organized groups.
- Exhibits will captivate both young and old.
- Discover the water cycle! Take a water drop ball from the ocean to the evaporator tube. Watch it float up to the clouds.
- Find your drop of water in the clouds and choose where it will precipitate.
- You can find your drop in the rivers, snow, ground water, or animals. Follow your water drop throughout the exhibit hall.
- How many gallons of water are in you? Step on a scale and find out. Can you pump that much water?
- Bend down and pick up that 5-gallon jug of water. Would you use 170 gallons a day if you had to carry that jug a mile?
- Do you know where your water comes from? Video and laser technologies follow the water downstream to 1.4 million people.
- Where does the river go and who lived in the Cedar River Watershed? Hanging panels tell the tale.
- Can you imagine? Murals and activities reveal the stories of the people and habitats of the Cedar River Watershed.
- Listen to the story of the first peoples. Local tribal members tell of their connection to the land since the beginning.
- Why here? Artifacts, images and text help you discover why people came to the Cedar River Watershed.
- What lives here? People no longer live in the Watershed but wildlife thrives. Discover more through interactive activities.
- Do you have what it takes to be a Water Manager? Decide how to manage the Watershed based on salmon, the weather and water use.
- How much have you learned? Answer questions about history, water and wildlife in this high-spirited, one or two player, computer game.