- Environment & Conservation
- Construction & Development
- Businesses & Key Accounts
- Help & FAQs
- About Us
Graffiti Prevention & Removal
Taking prompt, proactive steps to report and remove graffiti is the best way to prevent it from occurring in your community. The city’s Graffiti Nuisance Ordinance requires property owners to remove graffiti in a timely manner.
Follow these steps to get rid of graffiti:
Report graffiti - Use the Online Report Form or call the City's Graffiti Report Line at (206) 684-7587 to report graffiti on public property, or on private property that has persisted for a period of time. Make a police report online or call (206) 625-5011 when graffiti appears on your property.
If you see an act of graffiti vandalism in progress, call 911 immediately. Graffiti vandals must be caught in the act to be prosecuted.
Remove graffiti - When graffiti appears on your home, apartment building, or business, take a photo to document for insurance purposes. After the police document the vandalism, remove or paint over the graffiti immediately.
Volunteer to clean up graffiti – Become an Adopt-a-Street volunteer and receive City support and supplies to clean up graffiti.
Make your property graffiti-resistant.
Steps that are known to work include:
- Installing improved lighting and flashing motion-sensor lighting.
- Growing vines or appropriate vegetation to cover unpainted retaining walls.
- Installing a graffiti-resistant coating on your walls.
- Keeping matching paint on hand to quickly paint out graffiti.
- Installing cameras to monitor activity on your property.