Love your leftovers
There are usually two reasons we end up throwing out our leftovers:
- We forget about them, or
- We get bored eating the same thing.
Luckily, there are easy answers to both problems.
To remember to eat your leftovers:
- Include leftovers in your meal plan.
- Store leftovers in clear containers so you can see what needs to be eaten.
- Put leftovers in an Eat First (pdf) box in the fridge.
- Keep a list of leftovers stored in your freezer as a reminder.
To keep leftovers from getting boring:
- Freeze leftovers to mix up your meals. Having frozen meals on hand is great when you don’t have the time or energy to cook.
- Try these web sites for ideas on how to make leftovers delicious the second and third time around:
King County partnered with PCC Community Markets to create some great recipes for leftovers.
All Recipes has recipes for turning your leftovers into something new.
Better yet, plan your portions so you cook just the right amount and don’t end up with leftovers you don’t want.
Visit the USDA web site for information on leftovers and food safety.