- Environment & Conservation
- Construction & Development
- Businesses & Key Accounts
Non-toxic Cleaning Tips
In many cases, preventive measures can avoid problems like clogged drains and baked-on oven messes. When trouble strikes, try non-chemical solutions first. These require extra effort but are non-toxic and safe for the whole family.
- To keep drains clear, regularly use products with enzymes that break down grease and soap (such as Drano Buildup Remover or Liquid Plumr Buildup Remover).
- Prevent clogs by pouring boiling water down a slow drain. Repeat if needed.
- Try making your own home-made drain cleaners using our Green Cleaning recipes.
Translation is available in five languages (pdf):
English | Cambodian | Chinese | Spanish | Vietnamese
- Use a plunger on a stopped-up drain or toilet.
- Use a “plumber’s snake” to clear stubborn clogged drains or toilets.
- If all else fails, call a plumber.
In the oven
- Prevent baked-on messes! Wipe up spills right away.
- Place a foil-lined tray on the bottom rack to catch spills.
- Spot clean your oven regularly. Dirty ovens are less energy-efficient.
- Scrub with a scouring pad for most surfaces.
- Use a spatula or bread knife to get under large food deposits.
- If your oven needs cleaning, use an all-purpose scouring powder or a less toxic commercial cleaner without lye.
- Don't use an oven cleaner inside a self-cleaning oven.