- Environment & Conservation
- Construction & Development
- Businesses & Key Accounts
- Help & FAQs
- About Us
Under Washington State’s Public Records Act (RCW 42.56), you can request for disclosure of public records related to the City of Seattle’s solid waste, sewer, drainage, or water utilities (for the electric utility, see City Light). Public records are any writing prepared, owned, used, or retained by us, regardless of physical form, that reflect the conduct or performance of the utility.
A number of public records are available online.
How to request public records
Use the online Public Records Request Center to make the request. You can create a log-on, enter request details, track the request, communicate with the disclosure officer, pay for copies, and download digital files.
We will need the following information from you:
- Your name, address, telephone, and email address
- Details of the records, such as document type, office, author, or subject
- Dates or date range of the records
How we respond to the request
We will respond to your request within five business days with any of the following:
- Make records available for inspection or copying
- Acknowledge your request and provide a reasonable estimate of when records will be available
- Seek clarification of unclear requests
- Invoice you for the cost
- Deny your request with an explanation
We disclose records unless the law exempts or prohibits their disclosure.
What are the costs
Our fee schedule shows the material and delivery costs. You will receive an invoice and have the option to pay securely online.
How we send the records
You will be able to download records from Public Records Request Center when they are ready for disclosure and after paying the cost. Alternatively, you can receive them by U.S. mail or by picking them up. For large volumes of documents, especially on paper, we can set an appointment for you to inspect them at our office.
Who to contact for help
For help with public records and disclosure, contact:
Public Disclosure Officer
Seattle Public Utilities
P.O. Box 34018
Seattle, WA 98124-4018