Seattle Public Utilities Mami Hara, Director
Engineering Records Vault

Engineering Records Vault, 3/31/2001

Public Disclosure

Under Washington State’s Public Records Act (RCW 42.56), you can request for disclosure of public records related to the City of Seattle’s solid waste, sewer, drainage, or water utilities (for the electric utility, see City Light). Public records are any writing prepared, owned, used, or retained by us, regardless of physical form, that reflect the conduct or performance of the utility.

A number of public records are available online, free of charge, on SPU’s web site. They include service-level reports, comprehensive plans, design standards and specifications, project information, and many more documents.

How to request public records

We need the following information from you:

  • Your name, address, telephone, and email address
  • Details of the records, such as document type, office, author, or subject
  • Dates or date range of the records

You may also fill out the Public Disclosure Request form (pdf).

Send your request by:

  • Email:
  • Fax: (206) 470-6868
  • U.S. mail: Public Disclosure Officer
    Seattle Public Utilities
    P.O. Box 34018
    Seattle, WA 98124

For questions, call (206) 733-9836.

How we respond to the request

We will respond to your request within five business days of receiving the request with any of the following:

  • Make records available for inspection or copying
  • Acknowledge your request and provide a reasonable estimate of when records will be available
  • Seek clarification of unclear requests
  • Invoice you for the cost
  • Deny your request with an explanation

We disclose records unless the law exempts or prohibits their disclosure.

What are the costs

Our Fee Schedule (pdf) shows the copying and material costs. We issue an invoice and require payment before you receive the records.

How we send the records

We can deliver the records to you, electronically or in hard copies, by U.S. mail, email, or pickup in person. You may also inspect the records at our office by appointment.

Where to find more about public record disclosures

City of Seattle Public Disclosure
Washington State Office of the Attorney General
Municipal Research and Services Center