- Environment & Conservation
- Construction & Development
- Businesses & Key Accounts
Strategic Business Plan—SPU in 2020
Strategic Business Plan 2015-2020
Watch our video and read the Strategic Business Plan to learn about our current vision, core business and key initiatives.
Seattle Public Utilities' (SPU) Strategic Business Plan (pdf) guides our investments, service levels and rates from 2015 through 2020. SPU created the plan with input from customers, employees, elected officials, and an independent Customer Review Panel. An important part of the plan is the Council-approved 4.6% average annual rate increase.
SPU is now in its second year of the Strategic Business Plan. We continue to make progress on new investments while staying within the 4.6% average annual rate increase. Highlights of 2016 accomplishments are included in SPU’s progress report (pdf) to the City Council.
What’s a strategic business plan and why are we doing it?
A strategic business plan is the bridge that connects our long-term goals with our current resources. It helps us answer the following:
- Where do we want to be in 2020? What’s our focus and direction?
- What do we do with our time, money and people?
- How will people know what steps to take and when we’ve reached our destination?
The plan is our road map for projects and services through 2020. We will update it every three years.
Our promise to our customers is the starting point about what type of utility we want to be:
- Vision: Showing how utility dollars sustain and improve the quality of life.
- Mission: Providing efficient and forward-looking utility services that keep Seattle the best place to live.
- Strategic Role: Solving problems at the source.
- Values: Providing customer-focus, safety, innovation, inclusion, value for money.