CLIMATE CHANGE PROGRAM
SPU has worked nationally with climate researchers to assess how climate change may affect the systems it manages. The utility:
- focuses on both climate adaptation and greenhouse gas (GHG) mitigation
- evaluates how sea level rise may affect infrastructure and service delivery
- developed a map showing areas of Seattle that may be underwater during high tide in 2050
Climate Change Program
WE provides grants and other funding opportunities to promote collaboration between the City and the community to help meet Seattle’s environmental and conservation goals. Current grants include:
- School Recycling & Waste Reduction Grants
Implement or expand food waste composting, recycling and waste reduction programs in Seattle K-12 schools.
- King Conservation District Grants
Implement natural resource improvement and stewardship projects on public and private land within the boundaries of the City of Seattle. The 2014 grant round details will be available during the first quarter of 2014.
- Trees for Neighborhoods
Help Seattle residents plant trees in their yards and along their streets. Participants in the program receive free trees, watering bags and training on proper planting and care.