Seattle Public Utilities Mami Hara, General Manager/CEO

Disputing a Bill

Seattle Public Utilities has four levels in its dispute resolution process. Read more about our dispute policy (pdf).

Step 1 - Initiate a dispute

When initiating a dispute, please ensure that you answer these three questions:

  • Explain what and how much is being disputed.
  • State why you are disputing a charge or decision.
  • Describe what action you are requesting.

You can dispute a bill by contacting us by any of these methods:

  • Online
  • By phone
    Call an SPU Customer Service Representative at (206) 684-3000
  • In person
    Visit the Customer Service Center in the lobby of the Seattle Municipal Tower (formerly Key Tower), 700 5th Avenue, in Downtown Seattle
  • By mail
    Mail your letter to:
    Seattle Public Utilities Customer Service Branch
    Attention: Customer Response Division
    PO Box 34027
    Seattle, WA 98124-4027

Step 2 - Request supervisory review

If you are dissatisfied with the response to your initial inquiry, you may request to have your dispute escalated. Please call (206) 684-3000 and ask for a Referral Queue Representative.

Exception: If you are disputing a bill reflecting exceptionally high water usage please review SPU’s Leak Adjustment Director’s Rule (pdf) and visit our website for tips on how to repair any onsite property leaks.

Step 3 - Request managerial review

If you are contesting the findings from Step 2, you may schedule an informal telephone conference with the Customer Response Division’s Duty Supervisor or Backup Duty Supervisor by calling (206) 684-3000.

Exception: High water consumption disputes should be directed to an Account Management Officer by calling (206) 684-5800.

Step 4 - Request hearing officer review

If Steps 1, 2, and 3 have been completed and you still remain dissatisfied, as the last step in the dispute resolution process, you may submit a written appeal to SPU’s Hearing Office. Appeal letters must include the following:

  • A summary of the nature of the dispute
  • An explanation why the previous findings and managerial decision was unsatisfactory
  • Description of the outcome desired
  • Appeal letters should be mailed to:
    Seattle Public Utilities
    Attn: Utility Hearing Officer
    PO Box 34027
    Seattle, WA 98124-4027