Scotch Pine (Pinus sylvestris)
The distinctive flaking orange/red-brown bark of this tree is one of the first things that gets your attention. The twisted blue-green needles add interest as well. This tree can develop a picturesque, irregular outline with maturity.
Power Line Approved: No
Min. street tree planting width: 12 feet
Mature Height: 40-50 feet
Mature Spread: 30-40 feet
Tree Shape: Broad pyramidal
Where to Plant:
Works well in your yard. Give it room to develop its unique form.
Twisted blue-green needles in bundles of two.
Light brown, oval cones up to 3” long.
Preferred Site Conditions:
Full sun. Prefers moist but well drained soil.
Pest free in the Pacific Northwest.
Minimum Planting Distances:
- 15 feet from house or building
- 3 ½ feet back from the face of the curb
- 5 feet from underground utility lines
- 10 feet from power poles
- 7 ½ feet from driveways (10 feet recommended)
- 20 feet from street lights and other existing trees
- 30 feet from street intersections
Return to 2018 Trees