Ruby Vase Parrotia (Parrotia persica 'Ruby Vase')
J. Frank Schmidt & Son Co
An upright form of the species that is quite durable. From its exfoliating gray and tan bark to its remarkable kaleidoscope of leaf color, this tree provides beauty all year long.
Power Line Approved: Yes
Min. street tree planting width: 5 feet
Mature Height: 25-30 feet
Mature Spread: 15-20 feet
Tree Shape: Upright vase
Where to Plant:
Works well in smaller planting strips or a tight yard space.
Emerge tinged in purple, they turn lustrous green in summer before turning to variable shades of yellow, orange, and red in fall.
Small, with brown bracts and showy red stamens.
Photo credit: J. Frank Schmidt & Son Co
Preferred Site Conditions:
Full sun in medium moisture, well-drained soil. Adaptable to a variety of moisture and soil conditions.
No serious insect or disease problems.
Minimum Planting Distances:
- 15 feet from house or building
- 3 ½ feet back from the face of the curb
- 5 feet from underground utility lines
- 10 feet from power poles
- 7 ½ feet from driveways (10 feet recommended)
- 20 feet from street lights and other existing trees
- 30 feet from street intersections
Return to 2018 Trees