Norway Spruce (Picea abies)
John Seiler, Virginia Tech Dept of Forest Resources;
This semi-weeping tree can have a dramatic effect in the landscape working well as a group planting for screening. The cigar-like cones hang ornamentally from the branches.
Power Line Approved: No
Min. street tree planting width: 12 feet
Mature Height: 50-60 feet
Mature Spread: 25-30 feet
Tree Shape: Pyramidal
Where to Plant:
This is a great tree for your yard. Plant in groups to provide screening.
Leaves:Stiff, dark green needles that feel square when you roll them in your fingers.
Cylindrical cones up to 6” long.
Preferred Site Conditions:
Full sun. Prefers moist but well drained soil.
Can be susceptible to spruce aphid.
Minimum Planting Distances:
- 15 feet from house or building
- 3 ½ feet back from the face of the curb
- 5 feet from underground utility lines
- 10 feet from power poles
- 7 ½ feet from driveways (10 feet recommended)
- 20 feet from street lights and other existing trees
- 30 feet from street intersections
Photo credit: Pat Breen, OSU
Return to 2018 Trees