Firestarter Black Tupelo (Nyssa sylvatic 'JFS-red')
J. Frank Schmidt & Son Co
This narrow cultivar has a strong central leader and uniform branching. It has dark green foliage in summer and intense red fall color that begins earlier than other cultivars.
Power Line Approved: No
Min. street tree planting width: 6 feet
Mature Height: 35-40 feet
Mature Spread: 20 feet
Tree Shape: Upright oval
Where to Plant:
Great tree for a narrow space in your yard or in a planting strip with no overhead power lines.
Dark green leaves turn bright red in fall.
Photo credit: J. Frank Schmidt & Son Co
Preferred Site Conditions:
Full sun to light shade. Adaptable to a wide range of soils.
No serious pests.
Minimum Planting Distances:
- 15 feet from house or building
- 3 ½ feet back from the face of the curb
- 5 feet from underground utility lines
- 10 feet from power poles
- 7 ½ feet from driveways (10 feet recommended)
- 20 feet from street lights and other existing trees
- 30 feet from street intersections
Return to 2018 Trees