An interesting and attractive medium sized tree with white flowers (bracts) in spring that give the appearance of white dove tails or handkerchiefs.
Power Line Approved: No
Min. street tree planting width: 6 feet
Mature Height: 30-40 feet
Mature Spread: 30-40 feet
Tree Shape: Broad pyramidal
Where to Plant:
Ideal for planting strips or to as an accent in your yard.
Deep green serrated leaves turning yellow in fall.
Showy white flowers (bracts) resembling handkerchiefs in spring. Flowers thought to resemble white doves sitting in the tree, especially in a slight breeze.
Flowers followed by hanging greenish golf ball sized fruits.
Preferred Site Conditions:
Prefers full sun to partial shade and moist well-drained soils.
No serious pest or disease problems.
Minimum Planting Distances:
- 15 feet from house or building
- 3 ½ feet back from the face of the curb
- 5 feet from underground utility lines
- 10 feet from power poles
- 7 ½ feet from driveways (10 feet recommended)
- 20 feet from street lights and other existing trees
- 30 feet from street intersections
Return to 2017 Trees