Amur Maackia (Maackia amurensis)
A small, tough, and urban tolerant tree that will impress with its peeling coppery-bronze bark and fragrant white flowers in Summer. As the new leaves are emerging, they have a silvery appearance due to silky hairs.
Power Line Approved: Yes
Min. street tree planting width: 5 feet
Mature Height: 25-30 feet
Mature Spread: 25-30 feet
Tree Shape: Rounded
Where to Plant:
A perfect tree for smaller planting strips under power lines. Can also be used for small yard spaces.
Compound leaves emerge silvery-green due to silky hairs. Change to medium green over summer.
White, spikey and fragrant in mid-summer.
2-3" long flat seed pods.
Preferred Site Conditions:
Full sun. Adaptable to a variety of conditions but would prefer good drainage.
No serious insect or disease problems.
Minimum Planting Distances:
- 15 feet from house or building
- 3 ½ feet back from the face of the curb
- 5 feet from underground utility lines
- 10 feet from power poles
- 7 ½ feet from driveways (10 feet recommended)
- 20 feet from street lights and other existing trees
- 30 feet from street intersections
Photo credit: Pat Breen, OSU
Return to 2018 Trees