Home Page This Department
Link to Transportation Home Page Link to Transportation Home Page Link to Transportation About Us Page Link to Transportation Contact Us Page
A vibrant Seattle through transportation excellence Interim Director, Goran Sparrman







Site Index

Street Use Home
Special Activities
Signal Control Box Artwork
Neighborhood Block Party Permits
Sidewalk Cafés
Annual Permits
Publications, Forms and Client Assistance Memos
Shoring Review
Street Improvement Permit
Franchise and Utility Permits
Roadway Closure Barricade Requirements
Vending Permits
Truck Fees and Permits
Online Permitting
Utility Coordination in City Streets
Client Assistance Memos and Forms
Fee Schedule/Permit List
Right-of-Way Improvements Manual
Street Vacations
Street and Sidewalk Pavement Opening and Restoration Rules
Shoreline Street Ends
Grade Sheet Process
Frequently Asked Questions
Contact Street Use

Street Use Permits

Permit Applications now Fillable PDF Forms

As part of continuing Street Use & Urban Forestry customer service improvements newly designed permit applications are now fillable PDF forms. The revamped forms launched February 10, 2014 with PDF files available online. Now data can be entered into those PDF files.  The files can be saved, allowing them to be printed, reused, and attached in emails sent to the permits team.  The new forms are posted on the Street Use Publications, Forms and Client Assistance Memos webpage

Other recent customer service improvements include the addition of Permit  Services technicians and reviewers. The added counter staff will offer one-on-one guidance at the intake counter, helping customers prepare successful applications and sign in to the appropriate work group. In some instances, same-day permit service may not be possible, but customers will be aligned more and more with one reviewer throughout the life of their project.

The goal of these changes is to reduce wait times while better preparing applicants with active coaching and refined tools. Well-prepared customers can expect faster service, and coaching will help new or infrequent customers better prepare as well.

Watch for further improvements later this year:

  • Applicants beginning complex development projects can make appointments
  • Online permitting will be streamlined
  • Customer service area in the Seattle Municipal Tower will be reconfigured

Contact Street Use & Urban Forestry to learn more:

206-684-5253 |
206-684-TREE (8733)

Street Use & Urban Forestry offers more than 60 types of permits for use, occupation and/or construction in the right of way. We issue permits for temporary uses of the right of way (such as crossing the sidewalk with heavy equipment during construction or hosting a block party) and for longer-term private uses of the right of way (such as planting trees or posting signs). Refer to our related Client Assistance Memos for more information.

Permit UseNeed to apply for a permit? Visit the Street Use & Urban Forestry permit counter in person, use our online permitting system, or email us completed permit application forms along with site and traffic control plans as required.

Street Use & Urban Forestry Permit Services is located on the 23rd floor of Seattle Municipal Tower, 700 5th Avenue, in downtown Seattle. The counter is open:

  • Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
  • Thursday from 10:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.


  • We are no longer able to accept payments after 4:45 p.m.
  • Applicants arriving after 4:30 p.m. may not receive a permit that day.

Permits fall into four main categories. Examples of our most common permit types within each category are below:

  1. Construction Use and Simple Utility
    • Impacting Streets/Sidewalks for Construction Purposes
    • Driveways
    • Sidewalk Repairs
    • Simple Utilities
  2. Major Improvements
  3. Public Space Management
  4. Urban Forestry Permits

All permit applications require submission of the Street Use General Application in addition to project-specific permit applications. For convenience, the Street Use General Application is included in each of the following project-specific permit application PDF files:


Impacting Streets/Sidewalks for Construction Purposes
Many circumstances require use of the right of way for construction on both public and private property. Street use permits are issued for temporary use of the right of way during construction for activities such as material storage, scaffolding, crane placement, or crossing the curb and sidewalk with heavy equipment.

A temporary driveway is an asphalt driveway installed where there is no curb constructed. It requires a permit issued by Street Use, permits issued by the Department of Planning and Development (DPD), and a field review by an inspector for approval. Property owners are responsible for providing a temporary or permanent driveway so that vehicles do not drive over sidewalks, planting strips or curbs.

Sidewalk Repairs
Property owners are responsible for maintaining the sidewalks adjacent to their property. This includes ensuring that snow, ice and debris do not pose a hazard to pedestrians - it also means that property owners must repair cracks and other sidewalk damage. If your sidewalk is in need of repair, apply for a construction use permit to complete the work.

Simple Utility Permits
Simple utility permits are issued for the installation of underground and overhead utility mains and services in the public right of way. They include power, communication, gas, steam, water, sewer, drainage, and privately owned facilities such as oil pipelines. Also included are permits issued to other governmental entities such as the Port of Seattle, King County and the State of Washington.


Shoring and Excavation
Shoring permits are issued for work that supports the earth in a trench or vertical cut for construction or other activity. Excavation permits are issued for excavations in or near the right of way that could, by the nature of the excavation, negatively impact the right of way or utilities in the right of way. In cases where the right of way will be affected by shoring or excavation, Street Use performs shoring review in partnership with DPD.

Street Improvements and Plan Review
Street improvement permits include the installation of major improvements such as street paving, curbs, and sidewalks in conjunction with development on private property. Included in the permit are utilities that are necessary to serve the private development. This type of permit can also be issued for larger community projects, such as a block-long rain garden or a curb bulb.  

The Street Use Street Improvement Permits (SIP) group can assist you in interpreting and applying DPD Land Use Code requirements for improvements in the right of way during design and construction. SIP provides project management and facilitates approval for private projects ranging from single family residences to large-scale mixed use developments and major interdepartmental projects for SDOT.

Major Utility Permits
Major utility permits are issued for the installation of underground and overhead utility mains and services in the public right of way. They are distinguished from simple utility permits by their greater length and/or by scope elements that require enhanced technical review. Generally, this utility work is greater than 100 feet in length, disturbs existing curb lines or crosswalk areas, or involves directional drilling. Please refer to Client Assistance Memo #2600 for more information.


Public Space Permits
The Public Space Management group promotes and regulates a vibrant, safe, accessible, and attractive shared right of way. Public space management permits include uses of the right of way by the general public and by businesses and include both temporary and longer-term uses of the right of way, ranging from a one-night block party to a fence. Public Space Management permits for longer-term uses (such as sidewalk cafes or retaining walls) require renewal once a year and include an annual fee; these were formerly known as “annual” permits.

Note: If your proposed project includes construction of a permanent structure in the public right of way for your own personal use or for the private use of your business, you will be required to sign an acknowledgement confirming that you understand that your permit application may not be approved.

Vending permits are issued for food trucks that operate from a parked location to mobile vehicles that sell flowers or food on the go (ice-cream trucks, for example). Vending also includes vending at stadiums for sporting or large-scale events; vending from plazas or sidewalks (such as hot dog stands); temporary vending or curb space activity, such as vending at a farmers’ market; and First Amendment vending.


Urban Forestry Permits
Urban forestry permits are issued for tree planting, tree pruning, tree removal and tree replacement in the public right of way. Permit requirements are based on specific site conditions and individual tree species. SDOT arborists review applications to ensure the health, preservation and expansion of Seattle’s urban forest. For more information, visit SDOT Urban Forestry online,, or call 206-684-TREE (8733).


Contact Street Use & Urban Forestry at: 

206-684-5253 |
206-684-TREE (8733)

Thank you!


Home | About Us | Contact Us | Site Index | News | FAQs | E-Mail Alerts