Getting a Permit
New Permit Counter Service Monitors!
The next time you visit our permit services counter, you may notice two new monitors to the far right. They're the latest in our larger effort to improve how we serve you. The monitors display:
- Current wait times – know what to expect
- Customer tips – become a well-prepared applicant
- Announcements – learn about changes and updates
- Guides – understand new rules and policies
- Historic images – see construction from decades ago!
The content you'll see covers everything from highlights of the new Right-of-Way Opening and Restoration Rule, to where you can find templates to make the application process easier. We hope these improvements make the waiting experience more pleasant, informative, transparent, and efficient!
Street Use offers more than 60 types of permits for use, occupation and/or construction in the public right of way. They fall under four main categories:
- Construction Use & Simple Utility Permits
- Public Space Permits
- Major Improvements Permits
- Urban Forestry Permits
Projects with significant impacts to the public right of way may require a Construction Management Plan (CMP). See below for helpful tools.
NOTE: For information on permitting for pavement restoration contractors click here or see Client Assistance Memo 2602.
WAYS TO APPLY
There are three ways to apply for a Permit:
- Email PDF
- Permit Services Counter
- Online Webform (high-volume utility permit applicants only; password protected)
OPTION 1: Email PDF
Fillable PDFs guiding applicants to provide the required information are available below and on the Applications, Forms & Templates page. Note: Application forms no longer contain the Street Use General Application. General information is incorporated into each project-specific form; the Street Use General Application is no longer required.
Save your completed PDF file and attach it to an email, along with any additional required documentation (site plans, traffic control plans, etc.) and send to SDOTPermits@seattle.gov.
Permit Application Types:
OPTION 2: Visit Permit Services Counter
Click to view directions
You may apply for a permit in person at the Street Use Permit Services Counter. We are located at:
700 5th Avenue
Seattle Municipal Tower
Hours of Operation are:
Monday, Wednesday, and Friday
8 AM to 5PM
Tuesday and Thursday
10:30 AM to 5 PM
We do not accept payments after 4:30 PM
Applicants arriving after 4:30 PM may not receive a permit that day.
OPTION 3: Online Webform
High-volume utility permit applicants who have been granted a user name and password may use the Online Webform.
- Go to the Online Webform
- Select the "Using Your ArcGIS Account" option and log in
- Fill out the form; click the "i" icon for in-depth instructions, or download them here
- The form automatically submits once you've entered all required information
- You will receive your permit number via an email from SDOT
- Email associated site plans, traffic control plans, and other documents to SDOTpermits@seattle.gov; reference your permit number on all attached documents/plans and in the subject line of your email
(Note: Utility Major Permit applicants should apply at the Street Use Permit Counter.)
RENEW/EXTEND A PERMIT
The options above are the same for renewing or extending a permit. To renew or extend a permit you need to provide the following:
- Permit number
- Square footage
- Indicate if the space has been vacated for 10 or more days (must be verified by SDOT Street Use inspector)
- Current Site Plan
- Current Traffic Control Plan (if conditions have changed)
- Start date
Please note: The renewal or extension is not valid and work is not to begin until the permit is paid for and SDOT has notified you of its approval.
Permits fall into four main categories, and have applications specific to those types:
Contact Street Use at:
206-684-5253 | SDOTPermits@seattle.gov