Spokane Street Viaduct Widening Project
Contract 4, Viaduct Widening and Ramp Construction (2003-2006)
Revised November 8, 2006
Design of the widening phase of the Spokane Viaduct upper roadway is once again underway and should be completed by end of 2007. Construction is likely to occur in phases as funding emerges with the first phase of construction anticipated to start in 2008.
Scope of Work:
The widening phase of the project includes the following project elements:
- The north side of the structure will be widened by 41 feet between 6th Avenue South and East Marginal Way to make space for a new westbound acceleration-deceleration lane, wider lanes and shoulders, a possible eastbound transit/HOV lane, and a permanent median.
- The existing westbound off-ramp at 4th Avenue will be removed and new on- and off-ramps will be constructed at 1st Avenue South to current design standards.
- The seismic strengthening of the viaduct will be completed
- The existing upper roadway deck will be repaved and variable message signs will be installed
- The lower roadway will be rebuilt with curbs and gutters and a new 10-foot wide sidewalk with landscaping will be installed along the north side of lower roadway.
- A planted median will be constructed on 4th Avenue South north of Spokane in the space the old ramps currently occupy
- A new eastbound, two-lane loop off-ramp will be constructed at 4th Ave South, making it possible to extend West Seattle Bridge transit lane from SR 99 to 4th Avenue for a total of three lanes eastbound.
It is likely that westbound lanes on South Spokane Street will be closed, and parking under the viaduct will be eliminated throughout the majority of contract 4.
Access to businesses will be via Eastbound Spokane Street. See the Detour Update page for more information. The work area is shown below.
Click here to view a larger version of the Project Overview (PDF)
Contract 1, Seismic Retrofit (1998-1999)
Contract 2, Median Barrier Installation (1999)
Contract 3, Lower Roadway Utility Relocations (2001-2003)
Contract 4, Viaduct Widening and Ramp Construction (2004-2007)
More information to come:
As the project progresses, more details will be made available. For questions or comments you may call Stuart Goldsmith, Project Manager, at 206-615-0860, or by e-mail.