Key messages for transportation officials:
- Walking is the most basic transportation and an integral part of the transportation system.
- Good pedestrian presence indicates community health and vitality.
- Designing a safe, convenient, and comfortable walking environment requires planning, careful engineering, attention to detail, and ongoing maintenance and care.
- Physical improvements must go hand in hand with education, land use control, legal changes, and enforcement.
- Funding and political support for policies, programs, and infrastructure to support walking is key