Magnolia Bridge Replacement Project:
Preferred Alternative: Alternative A
In March 2006, Mayor Greg Nickels directed SDOT
to chose Alternative A as the preferred alternative to replace the Magnolia
Bridge. Alternative A would replace the existing bridge with a new structure
immediately south of the existing bridge.
Ramps would provide access from the bridge's mid-span to the waterfront and
the Port of Seattle’s
uplands property. Connections at the east and west ends of the bridge would
be similar to the existing bridge.
Alternative A was selected as the preferred alternative because it:
- Responds to local transportation needs
- Was a strong alternative based on environmental and technical analysis
- Received significant neighborhood, business, and governmental agency support,
including that of the Port of Seattle
- Provides the least disruption to residents on
edge and businesses located under the bridge
- Allows Interbay business owners greater certainty in planning for future
expansion or development
less than other proposed alternatives
Illustrations of the alignment are available below.