|the word on the street
||May 19, 2006
Phase II Starts Monday, May 22nd!
Construction is on schedule and the next phase of the project will begin Monday. The major changes for bridge traffic during phase II are listed here for your convenience:
Demolition starts Wednesday, May 24th
- Vehicles will be limited to one lane in each direction across the Fremont Bridge until March 2007.
- Pedestrians and bicycles will share a single pathway for both north- and south-bound travelers.
- No trucks or buses-except for emergency response vehicles-may cross the bridge, The limit is 8600 pounds (gross vehicle weight); if you're unsure about your vehicle, check your registration.
- No vehicles coming north across the bridge will be allowed to turn at 34th Street, east or west.
- Metro routes 26, 28, 31 and 74 will begin new (temporary) routes.
- Pedestrians will not be able to cross Fremont Avenue at 34th Street on the south side of the street-only on the north side, between Peet's & Costa's.
- Parking on the north side of 34th just east of Fremont will be converted to a driving lane.
- Bicycles crossing Fremont Avenue at 34th Street will have a separate phase in the traffic signal, just for them.
As soon as traffic is safely removed from the east half of the approaches, the "rubblization" of Fremont's Bridge approaches will begin. While carefully protecting the west side, crews will cut apart, break up, topple over and otherwise quickly, but safely, demolish the east side.
By working from 6AM to 11PM this particularly disruptive aspect of the project will be finished by June 24th.
Full Closures in June: One Sunday, 7 Weeknights
The Fremont Bridge will be closed to ALL traffic (vehicles, bicyclists and pedestrians) from 10PM to 6AM on the following weeknights: June 12th, 13th, 14th, 15th, 27th, 28th and 29th.
In addition, the bridge will be closed from noon to midnight on Sunday June 25th, and 34th Street will be closed just east of Fremont from 6AM that same day to 6AM on Monday, June 26th.
Commuter Cash Experts Coming to PCC
Traffic got you down? Looking for alternatives to waiting alone in your car? Need a little incentive to make a change?
Metro staff will be just outside Fremont's PCC in the Solar Café on June 6th, 8th, 15th and 22nd from 11AM to 1PM to help you explore different means of going to and coming from, plus special incentives (aka cash) for modifying your behavior.
Or you can ACT NOW by going to www.seattle.gov/waytogo and www.rideshareonline.com to get ahead of the crowds.
35th Annual Fremont Fair Coming June 17th & 18th
The Fremont Public Association is once again sponsoring the Fremont Fair to raise funds for fighting poverty. When coupled with the Fremont Arts Council's Solstice Parade & Pageant (starting at noon on Saturday), you've got the most popular of all the Center of the Universe's many events
For More Info
If you have questions or concerns regarding the project please call SDOT Project Manager Lorelei Mesic at 206-684-5178 or email@example.com. Also, businesses may contact Art Brochet at 206-547-1008 or firstname.lastname@example.org.