Pedestrian Safety Improvements: Lake City Way NE and 24th Ave NE
Last Updated: June 16, 2015
Nighttime work: On Tuesday, June 16 at 7 PM, crews will reduce lanes on Lake City Way for striping work. If work is not complete by the morning of Wednesday, June 17, crews will finish the work on Wednesday night. NOTE: Evening construction, including pavement removal using impact breakers, may be performed until 10:00 PM under the conditions of a noise variance.
Construction to install pedestrian improvements along Lake City Way NE and 24th Avenue NE is underway. Over the past two weeks, crews have been working to install new storm drainage structures in preparation for the new sidewalk, curb ramps and concrete roadway. Work is expected to reach substantial completion by the end of the summer.
Crews will work on Lake City Way NE, during which time traffic restrictions will also be in place. This will include lane restrictions, permanent loss of parking within the project area and pedestrian detours.
During construction you can expect:
You are encouraged to sign up for email updates about the project by contacting the construction communications team at 206-615-1075 or email@example.com.
- Lane restrictions and closures on Lake City Way NE, 24th Avenue NE and NE 104th Way
- Driveway and parking restrictions on 24th Avenue NE, advanced notice will be provided
- Impacts to bus stop
- Pedestrian detours
click to view larger
Many of these improvements were recommended by community plans in the Lake City Way Traffic Safety Project. Most importantly, these types of pedestrian facilities improve safety for all roadway users.
Project elements include:
- New sidewalks on both 24th Avenue NE and Lake City Way NE
- Curb bulb on the southwest corner of NE 104th Way and Lake City Way NE
- Crosswalk and signal improvements at the intersection of 24th Avenue NE and Lake City Way NE
- Bus stop improvements on Lake City Way NE
- Accessible curb ramps at the intersections of 24th Avenue NE and Lake City Way NE and NE 104th Way and Lake City Way NE
- Storm drain improvements
In order to make these improvements, parking on the east side of Lake City Way will be permanently removed within the project area and traffic lanes will be shifted.
The goal of these pedestrian safety improvements is to help make Lake City safer and more comfortable for multiple travel modes. The work may include:
- ADA-compliant curb ramps, for smoother and better access
- Curb bulbs and signalized crosswalks to improve pedestrian crossings
- Improved intersection to promote safety for all roadway users
This work is funded by the nine-year voter approved Bridging the Gap Levy.
Call Sandy Lam at 206-615-1075