September 18, 2009
Nighttime Base Repair & Asphalt Paving Starts Friday September 11th
SDOT and its contractor, Gary Merlino Construction Company, are planning to start nighttime base repair and asphalt paving on Second Avenue between Denny Way and Pike Street.
Base Repair – On the evening of Friday September 11th the contractor will begin base repairs at the following Second Avenue intersections: Denny Way, Broad Street, Lenora Street, Virginia Street and Pine Street. Work in these intersections will start as early as 6:00 p.m. on Friday evening and will continue until 4:30 a.m. Monday September 14th. Please note the following lane closures and restrictions during this work:
- Second will be closed between Denny and Broad
- Lenora will be closed between Second and First
- Broad will be reduced to one westbound lane at Second
- Virginia will be reduced to one eastbound lane at Second
- Pine will be reduced to one westbound lane at Second
Asphalt Paving – Beginning Monday September 14th and continuing for an additional 1 or 2 nights, the contractor will pave Second Avenue between Denny Way and Pike Street. This work will start as early as 6:00 p.m. each night and will conclude at 6:00 a.m.
During this work the project team will do its best to minimize impacts to surrounding businesses and residents. Several specific steps are:
- Silencing back-up alarms on vehicles by using broadband back-up alarms.
- Breaking concrete only until 10:00 PM.
- Street sweeping to reduce dust
- Meeting with crews prior to nighttime work to emphasize the importance of taking steps to reduce noise.
- During base repair and asphalt paving there will be vehicle detours as well as periodic cross street and driveway interruptions.
- A minimum of one lane of traffic will remain open on Second Avenue. Expect some delays.
- Uniformed police officers and flaggers will be on site to offer assistance and keep vehicles moving.
September 15, 2009
SDOT's contractor is heading toward substantial completion of this project
by the end of September. Construction crews recently completed pavement
grinding and base repair work in preparation for asphalt paving.
The asphalt paving work, is scheduled for this week (September 14-16) and
will take place at night. Traffic will be restricted to one lane during the
final paving. Construction crews will then focus during the remainder of
September on completing sidewalk repair, pavement striping and clean up work.
George Frost, Public Outreach Coordinator, email@example.com, (206) 615-0786