Low-Cost Internet Access for Residents
Who offers discounts on computers, home Internet service and smart phones for low-income residents?
Three companies offer low-cost, high-speed Internet in Seattle, all for around $10 a month. You can also purchase laptops, desktop computers and tablets starting at $99, and qualify for a discounted smart phone plan as well. With help from these programs, you can check your email, do your homework, search for jobs, pay your bills, watch short video clips, download music, and much more. See below for contact and general information for each of these offerings.
CenturyLink Internet Basics
(866) 541-3330 or (206) 789-1132 at their Seattle store location at 8528 Palatine Ave N, Seattle, 98133. You can apply over the phone or in person at their Seattle store.
- $9.95/month Internet + $2/month broadband recovery fee (for speeds up to 1.5Mbps) + tax
- DSHS recipient or income below 135% Poverty Level
- Requires 12-month contract; free modem rental for first 12 months; $8.99/month thereafter
- Depending on your service area, Prism fiber connectivity available with speeds at 40Mbps.
- $150 iPad mini available for purchase with 2-year contract (rate increases from $9.95/month to $14.95/month for months 13-24)
- No CenturyLink Internet service for past 90 days or unpaid CenturyLink bills
- $9.95/month unlimited Internet (speeds up to 10Mbps) + tax. There are no credit checks and installation is free. No Comcast Internet service for past 90 days or recent unpaid Comcast bills (under a year old). Modem and WiFi router included at no additional cost. Must live in an area where Comcast is available.
- Three programs offered in Seattle:
- Traditional family program: Must have a child who qualifies for the free or reduced school lunch program or attending a school that has over 50% of students on free/reduced lunch program. See list of schools here. The phone number for this program is (855) 846-8376.
- Seniors: Must be 62+ and low income. Free installation for seniors. The phone number for this program is (855) 850-4550.
- Public housing residents: Must living a qualifying public housing community. The phone number for this program is (855) 847-3356.
- $150 Laptops available for purchase (includes Microsoft Office, Norton Security Suite and 90-day warranty)
(206) 633-1517 or visit their store at: 3415 Stone Way N, Seattle, 98103
- $120 per year Internet through the Sprint 4G LTE Internet network through Mobile Citizen.
- Cost of one-time fee of $99 for an LTE modem.
- Maximum 30GB data per month; but no throttling or overages charged if you go over 30GB.
- Can be used wherever there is Sprint 4G LTE service.
- $99 refurbished laptops with a range of software (Windows 7 Pro, Microsoft Office Home & Business 2010, Microsoft Security Essentials, and a 1-year warranty)
- Desktops, flat screens, tablets and high-end laptops are also available
- DSHS recipient or income below 80% Area Median. See income limits here
- They have a store in Seattle offering products and assistance