Discount Smart Phones
Lifeline Discount Smart Phone Programs
Lifeline is a government benefit program that provides monthly telephone service discounts for eligible consumers living on low incomes, helping create access to the opportunities and security that phone service affords - including being able to connect to jobs, housing, family and 9-1-1. Lifeline is supported by the Universal Service Fund. For more information call 2-1-1.
The Lifeline discount can now be applied to smart phone service. Access Wireless, Budget Mobile, Family Mobile, and YourTel all offer no contract Lifeline smart phone service. Free voice mail, caller ID and call waiting are also included; smart phone handsets are not included. All of these companies sell Android smart phones for $50 or less.
You may qualify if you meet either of the criteria below.
1) You participate in any of these programs:
- Aged, Blind & Disabled (ABD)
- Community Options Program Entry System (COPES)
- DSHS Chore Services
- Federal Public Housing Assistance (Section 8)
- Food Stamps (SNAP)
- Housing & Essential Needs (HEN)
- Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP)
- Medicaid, Medical Assistance & Medicare cost-sharing programs
- National School Lunch Program (free lunch)
- Refugee Assistance
- State Family Assistance (SFA)
- Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
- Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF)
2) Your household income is at or below 135% of Federal Poverty Guidelines (FPG). Guidelines are as follows:
# of Household Members / Gross Monthly Income
1 = $1,324 5 = $3,196
2 = $1,792 6 = $3,664
3 = $2,260 7 = $4,132
4 = $2,728
*Add $468 for each additional person.
For detailed information about the providers in Washington, call 2-1-1 or visit www.interconnection.org/get-connected-smartphones.php