Search Process Overview & Schedule
We need new leadership and vision to build effectiveness, accountability and community trust for the Seattle Police Department (SPD). The Mayor's Office is moving quickly to name a new Police Chief, while allowing time to encourage and consider community input. The Mayor's Office anticipates announcing the new Police Chief by early April 2014. The Mayor's nomination is subject to Council approval.
The Police Chief reports to the Mayor and has management oversight of nearly 2,000 employees within SPD and an annual operating budget of more than $288 million. Learn more about SPD.
Search Process Milestones
- Jan. 8, 2014: Announce Community Advisory Committee members and launch national search for candidates
- Mid-January to mid-February 2014: Conduct outreach process and gather comments
- Mid-January: Search firm selected
- Mid-late February 2014: Finalize assessment criteria produced for search committee
- Late February to mid-March 2014: Search Committee interviews and selects finalists for mayoral consideration
- Early April 2014: Mayor selects and announces new Police Chief
- April 2014: Council considers/acts on Mayor's selection