Comment on a Project

How To Comment

You can comment on a project during the public comment period. We publish the comment period in our Land Use Information Bulletin and on the notice of proposed land use action posted on the project site.

Your comments on proposed land use actions must be submitted in writing to the Public Resource Center either by email to (preferred method) or by mail to:

Seattle Department of Construction and Inspections
ATTN: Public Resource Center or Assigned Planner
700 Fifth Ave, Ste 2000
P.O. Box 34019
Seattle, WA 98124-4019

Please include the project, project address, and your mailing address with your comment. We will post all comments, in their entirety, in the Seattle Services Portal.

If you need more than the standard 14-day comment period to prepare your comment, you can ask for a 14-day extension. Your request must be submitted in writing during the original comment period. The comment period for shoreline projects is 30 days, with no extensions allowed.

We will consider comments submitted after the comment period only if we have not yet published a decision.

What Projects Can I Comment On?

Examples of proposals you can comment on are:

Note: sometimes a project may involve more than one of these actions.

Code Interpretations

During the comment period, you can also request a formal decision on the meaning, application, or intent of any development regulation in our Land Use or Environmentally Critical Area codes. This is called a request for interpretation. Examples include questions of how structure height or setback is properly measured, or how a proposed use should be categorized. Failure to request an interpretation can preclude raising the issue on appeal.

To file an interpretation, you need to pay for the first 10 hours of review. You will be billed an hourly fee for each additional hour of review. See our Fee Subtitle for current hourly rates.

You can request an interpretation during the official comment period for a specific land use project. You must submit your request before 5:00 p.m. on the day the comment period, or extended comment period, ends.

To request an interpretation:

  • You must submit a Land Use Analysis request (under Permits - Trade, Construction & Land Use) through the Seattle Services Portal. You will need to complete and upload the Statement of Financial Responsibility form as part of your application.
  • You will need to pay all fees before we issue you our Code Interpretation.