Skip Navigation to ContentSeattle Right-of-Way Improvement Manual SDOT Home
HomeSearch TipsJoin Email ListGlossaryLinksContact UsFAQsdisclaimer

This online manual has been superceded by Street Illustrated.

Chapter 2
  « Back to Chapter 1  |  Go to Chapter 3 »
Procedures, Permitting Process and Approvals for Right-of-Way Improvements
2.4 Other Street Use Construction Permits � Groups 1 and 2
Improvements that are limited in scope may be reviewed and permitted with an SDOT permit for that specific improvement.  These limited permits are described in this section.
2.4.1 Driveway and Curb Cut Permits

Driveway and curb cut installations must meet City requirements and specifications including:

No existing curb: When there is no existing curb, the City of Seattle requires a Street Use Driveway Permit for the installation of a driveway that will join with a public street. SDOT issues and inspects the work for this permit.  A Group 2 permit is required when there is no existing curb.

Existing curb: The City of Seattle requires a Curb Cut Permit to remove a portion of an existing curb for the purpose of providing access to private property. This permit is issued by DPD and the work is inspected by SDOT.
2.4.2 Grade and Rock Permits

The grade and rock permits are required for alleys and for some residential access roadways. This pavement option would be used when minimal grading or leveling a street or alley or for installing a minimal amount of crushed rock.  If the total area of grading is more than 750 square feet or the project is in an Environmentally Critical Area then a Group 1 (SIP) permit is required for the work.

2.4.3 Paving Permits

When less than 750 square feet of paving is proposed to be installed and the street profile or alignment is not being modified, applicants can apply for a paving permit. 

2.4.4 Sidewalk and Sidewalk Repair Permits

Property owners are responsible for maintaining the sidewalks adjacent to their property, per SMC 15.72. They must ensure that snow, ice and debris do not pose a hazard to pedestrians. They must also repair cracks and other damage. The property owner of record is notified by the Street Use inspector of the repairs or action needed. If there is an unsafe condition and you want to repair the sidewalk, apply for a sidewalk permit.
A sidewalk is considered to be damaged and in need of repair in the following instances:

  • The sidewalk is cracked. 
  • There is a fault or other discontinuity greater that exceeds ADA tolerances.
  • Any piece of the sidewalk can be moved with ordinary foot pressure.
  • If in the view of SDOT the grade or slope of the sidewalk creates a concern for safe pedestrian passage.

If tree roots need to be cut to complete this repair, you must contact SDOT Urban Forestry at: 206 684-TREE.

To repair the sidewalk adjacent to your property, you will need to obtain a Street Use – sidewalk repair permit.  For more information, refer to the CAM 2208.


2.4.5 Private Encroachments in the Right-of-Way

Private encroachments in the right-of way require permits and inspections.  There are two types of permits required for this type of structure.  The first permit is for the construction and the second permit is an Annual/Renewable Street Use permit which is required for the long-term use of the rights-of-way such as signs, fences, retaining walls, and structural overhangs.  These permits require an annual fee and in some cases liability insurance or public place indemnity agreements.  Although these permits are issued for uses that may seem permanent they are considered temporary in nature and are revocable within 30 days.

Refer to Chapter 2.8 for more information regarding the annual/non-construction permit.

continue to section 2.5 »   
Latest Online Manual
Detailed Table of Contents
Chapter 2
Procedures, Permitting Process and Approvals for Right-of-Way Improvements
2.1 Navigating the City of Seattle Permit Process
2.2 Street Right-of-Way Permits
2.3 Street Improvement Permits Group 3 permits
2.4 Other Street Use Construction Permits Groups 1 and 2
2.5 Right-of-Way Use Permits
2.6 Shoring and Excavation Permits
2.7 Utility Permits
2.8 Non-Construction Permits
2.9 Street Trees and Landscaping Permits
2.10 Other Street Right-of-Way Improvement Activities
2.11 Deviation Request Process for Street Right-of-Way Improvements
2.12 Environmental Review and Approvals
2.13 King County Permits and Approvals
2.14 State and Federal Permits and Approvals
2.15 Contact Information
Report ROWIM content errors and/or website problems Report ROWIM content errors and/or website problems
Download Adobe Acrobat Reader Download Adobe Acrobat Reader


End of Content
Home | Search Tips | Join Email List | Glossary | Links | Contact Us | FAQs
SDOT Home | Seattle.Gov