A TEam OF DEDICATED VOLUNTEERS
The Seattle Police Department offers a rewarding volunteer opportunity with the Domestic Violence Victim Support Team (VST). VST volunteers offer crisis intervention, support, and resources to domestic violence victims and their children during the critical time following a domestic violence incident.
- A valid Washington State Driver’s License
- Be 21 years of age or older by the final date of academy training
- Pass a Seattle Police Department background check
JOIN THE TEAM!
Steps toward becoming a VST Volunteer.
- Submit an application
- Interview with VST staff
- Complete classroom training academy
- Pass an SPD background check
- Complete field training shifts
- Demonstrate a commitment to assisting
domestic violence victims
- Exercise strong listening and problem-solving skills
- Are excited about working with people from diverse communities
- Work well as a part of a team
- Are comfortable in a law enforcement environment that handles sensitive and confidential materials
- Accept and utilize constructive feedback
Strong Candidates Posess:
- An understanding of the dynamics of domestic violence
- Related crisis intervention experience and/or skills
- One year of relevant volunteer work, training,
or personal experience
Joining our team requires a substantial investment to complete the training process before actively volunteering. Please review the following and consider if this volunteer role will work for your life schedule.
- Training requirements: 50-hour academy classroom training + 20 hours of field training.
- Volunteer one 8-hour shift per month, for at least 1 year after completing training requirements.
VST weekend volunteer shift hours:
Friday 3rd Watch 7:00pm - 3:00am
Saturday 2nd Watch 11:00am - 7:00pm
Saturday 3rd Watch 7:00pm - 3:00am
Sunday 2nd Watch 11:00am - 7:00pm
Sunday 3rd Watch 7:00 pm - midnight