1.090 – Ticket Chain of Custody
Effective Date: 01/16/2013
This policy applies when tracking the custody of paper tickets through the
various channels of custody throughout the Seattle Police Department.
1. The Quartermaster (QM) Shall Maintain The Ticket
QM shall maintain an adequate supply of Criminal Citations, Notice of
Infractions (NOI), Traffic Contact Reports (TCR), and Parking Violations.
Only the stationmaster/designee can issue tickets from precincts
Each precinct shall have a procedure to obtain tickets during non-business
4. Officers Are Responsible For All Tickets Issued to
Officers shall retain copies of all tickets issued to them:
- “LEA” copies of NOIs and Criminal Citations
- Copies of Parking Violations and TCRs.
Officers shall turn in LEA and TCR officer copies to their sergeant upon
completing a ticket book.
- If the officer cannot account for an LEA copy, they shall submit a
memorandum in its place.
- Precincts will file these in the precinct centralized storage location for
these documents for
- 3 years plus current year for NOIs and Criminal Citations
- 1 year plus current year for TCRs.
1.090-PRO-1 Approving Ticket
1. Sends one book selected from a batch order of tickets to
the Compliance Section
Compliance Section Detective
2. Inspects ticket book for quality.
3. Sends a memorandum to the QM for approval of the
4. Retains the ticket book within the Compliance Section for 3 years plus
the current year.
5. Generates a Case Lot Roster for the tickets.
6. Creates a Ticket Book Register for each book within the
7. Retains the Case Lot Roster for 5 years plus the current
1.090-PRO-2 Issuing Tickets to
1. Orders tickets from the Quartermaster.
2. Provides tickets in Case Lots to the Stationmaster.
3. Signs the Case Lot Roster prior to taking custody of
4. Returns any non-serviceable tickets to the QM upon
discovery with a memorandum of explanation.
5. Issues tickets to officers upon request.
6. Records each book into the Ticket Book Register prior to
7. Removes the ticket book receipt from book prior to
8. Provides officer with the ticket book.
9. Sends all ticket receipts along with a copy of the
ticket book register to the Professional Standards Section once all ticket books
on the register are issued.